Old State House Museum Educator (part-time)
The Connecticut Democracy Center (CTDC) at Connecticut’s Old State House seeks part-time Museum Educators to provide tours, programs, and visitor services for students and the public as part of a team dedicated to building a healthy democracy through a well-informed and highly-engaged public.
Based in Hartford, the CTDC develops and manages multi-platform civics education and history initiatives such as the Connecticut Network (CT-N), Connecticut’s Old State House, Kid Governor and Connecticut History Day. The Connecticut Democracy Center is a division of Connecticut Public Affairs Network, Inc.
The Center strengthens civic engagement in the Constitution State through comprehensive and unbiased educational programming and outreach on state government, civics and citizenship, providing people with lifetime pathways to active citizenship and the tools to take civic action in their own communities.
At the Old State House, a 1796 National Historic Landmark and museum, the CTDC creates and manages tours, public and school programs, exhibitions, rentals, retail, and markets. Adults and student visitors learn about Connecticut and its role in democracy-building through exhibits, tours, and interactive programs.
Museum Educators offer everyone who participates in OSH activities personalized and high quality experiences through expert historical interpretation and facilitation and a consistently high standard of customer care designed to attract, engage, and retain audiences.
- Serve in all circumstances as an informed, friendly ambassador for the Old State House and the CTDC
- Facilitate informative, accurate, and interactive guided tours and programs for individuals and groups according to policies, guidelines, and visitor interests and needs
- Greet visitors, sell admission tickets and shop merchandise, and provide visitor services information at the Welcome Desk
- Assist with general administrative tasks or research projects, public programs, events, the Farmers Market and Holiday Shopping Fair, and rentals when not providing tours or school programs
- Assist in the research, development and evaluation of educational materials, exhibitions, programs, and content related to history and civics
- Participate in training opportunities and self-directed research in order to expand content knowledge and strengthen interpretive and civic skills
- Assist with advertising and promotion of the OSH, the CTDC, and their programs
- Ensure a safe, clean, and professional environment for colleagues and guests
- Perform other duties as assigned
In addition to strong oral and written communication skills, the ideal candidate will have:
- Successful prior experience as an interpreter in an historical, museum or educational environment
- A commitment to being punctual, energetic and willing to work in a fluid and evolving team-based environment
- Familiarity and interest in American history, government, civics, and/or museum work
- An outgoing personality with excellent public speaking skills and the ability to work successfully and diplomatically with people of all ages and backgrounds in a variety of circumstances
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, analytical, judgment and time management skills
- Willingness and flexibility to work evenings, weekends and holidays as scheduled or required, including scheduled or unscheduled overtime
- Physical requirements include the ability to lead school groups up and down stairs numerous times per day. conduct outdoor walking tours, and lift 30 pounds. Otherwise, there are no special physical requirements outside of those of a normal office setting.
- Strong writing skills
- BA or MA in history, public history, American Studies or Museum Education a plus
Please send a resume, cover letter to email@example.com. We offer a dynamic work environment with a great group of people. Want to learn more? Check us out on www.ctdemocracycenter.org or find us on Facebook (CT-N & Old State House) and Twitter (CT-N & Old State House)!
CPAN, Inc.d/b/a Connecticut Democracy Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
CPAN, Inc. d/b/a Connecticut Democracy Center is Proud to be a Drug-Free Workplace
Check back often for updates on employment and internship opportunities with the Connecticut Public Affairs Network family of initiatives.